Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Invasion of the Nook

Yesterday I walked into my favorite Barnes and Nobles and was saddened. Immediately upon entering the door I was confronted with a kiosk for the Nook. Now I understand that Barnes and Nobles is trying to compete with the Ipad and Kindle but really do they have to place the kiosk right when you enter the door? The growing popularity of eReader and eBooks saddens me. For me a book is not just about the words but about an experience. I thoroughly enjoy holding a book in my hands. I love the smell of the paper, the way the spine cracks, the texture of the boards in my hands and the imprint of the ink. I love the cover art the summary on the dust jackets. I love the peace I get whenever I sit down and open a book to begin a new adventure. I understand publishing is expensive, and that publishing houses are struggling to compete with Internet for readers. Technology has it's place and I respect that. I just fear that technology will eventually destroy one of the few things that gives me complete joy in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment