Monday, June 7, 2010

Library Google Search

I am going to share with you the response from my friend Kurt who is a programmer and website developer for Q-Industries in Washington DC to my question of whether a library collection could be search in a google-type way, however this blog will not let me cut and paste. So essentially he said it is possible and would be extremely useful to the academic community. That the best case scenario would be to digitize as much of the full text as possible. He also said a number of projects are already digitizing books and put on the web and that these could be used.

I really like the idea and can envision a situation where several prominent universities get together to create a google-type search hub for academic material in there collections and on the web. I believe this would be a huge step in the right direction for academic research on every level.

No comments:

Post a Comment