Saturday, July 3, 2010

Open Source Libraries

I believe that a global user database for libraries would be a wonderful idea. Making the information housed in the private libraries open to all the public, and not just the members of the institution, would allow all libraries to compete with the Internet. I know that when I was doing research for my undergraduate thesis I was unable to obtain the information I needed in a timely manner because it was housed in a private institute. I ended up finding the books on a online used books store and received the books in 2 days. I had to spend about $20 but it was worth it for the amount of time I saved. Also I now own the resource and can refer to it whenever I want to. If libraries are going to compete with the instant gratification the Internet provides they need to be more open and accessible to the common man. Libraries should become more open source and less proprietary

No comments:

Post a Comment